Today, there are many ways and digital channels to reach customers, but it is not easy to use all of these channels with the right messages for the right views at the right time. Marketing professionals can leverage the use of marketing automation tools to achieve their business goals.
Marketing automation simply means using software and digital platforms to automate repetitive and tedious marketing processes such as email, social media account management, etc. Marketing automation tools support companies to send the right messages to current and potential customers and create effective marketing campaigns that align with sales and marketing strategies.
What is marketing automation?
Marketing automation is a solution area for marketing technology, Martech. These tools help businesses
- improve and automate their marketing activities
- evaluate the results and performance of its marketing activities to achieve the best operational efficiency
Marketing automation covers various marketing processes such as lead generation, segmentation, lead scoring, and account-based marketing and so on.
Why is marketing automation important now?
Marketing automation technology became popular after the mid-2000s with improvements in customer relationship management (CRM) and sales automation technology. The size of the global marketing automation market was $ 18 billion last year and now it is due 25 billion by 2023.
This growth is due to the benefits of marketing automation tools. 68% of marketing executives said they expect marketing technology budget to grow by 2021, according to Gartner inquiry.
What are the benefits of marketing automation?
Marketing automation technology has several advantages:
Better marketing effectiveness:
- Increase productivity by automating repetitive manual tasks.
- Using a centralized marketing database to analyze customer interactions
This improvement is reflected in the production and sale of high quality Leads
- Improve the performance of your marketing campaigns by delivering relevant messages to the right customers at the right time
- Support long-term customer relationships by tracking commitment and providing more targeted communication
All of these lead to the creation of an effective environment for marketing and sales collaboration
What are marketing automation applications?
- Channel marketing
- Digital advertising covers the promotion of a company’s products or services using multiple digital platforms such as social media accounts, applications, blogs and web browsers.
- Software advertising used to buy the right digital ads automatically from different platforms. First, the ad space listed by the publisher is analyzed and the advertiser makes bids accordingly. Depending on your advertising budget and goals, the exchange will choose the best offer and the media company will show the ad. This process takes milliseconds.
- Social media leaderst: It starts with building a social media strategy for a brand or company’s social media audiences. Social media audience profiles are analyzed, customized content is created, and social media performance is measured for continuous improvement.
- Mobile marketing automation is able to provide automated marketing activities for the mobile area. It can use real-time data to deliver in-app messages and wearable device notifications, text messages, and multimedia messages. This category also includes mobile advertising software.
- Email automation: Automatic messages are sent to current and potential customers with the right content and timing.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): Numerous tools automate some SEO tasks for marketers, such as tracking a site, ranking, or competitors.
- Affiliate marketing: Affiliate marketing is a type of performance-based marketing in which partners market products and services in return. Affiliate automation tools allow marketers to collect and analyze real-time data on campaign performance. These tools also make it easier to pay and control your budget.
- Incoming marketing
- Landing pages and forms: Data from potential customers is collected and sent to other marketing and sales systems to take action or store information. Landing page builders makes it easier to set up landing pages.
- Adaptation (Recommended engines) used to suggest products or services based on historical user data in marketing, and to provide customers with a hyper-personal experience.
- Relationship processing:
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) The primary goal of CRM systems is to manage existing and new customer relationships. While CRM is a sales automation tool, it is supported by marketing automation tools to inform sales representatives and improve sales success.
- Lead management and scoring: Views are automatically prioritized based on set criteria and a predefined methodology during the leading process. This allows companies to focus on the more valuable leads that are most likely to buy your product or service.
- Account Based Marketing (ABM) tools have the ability to build personal shopping experiences and help marketing and sales teams focus on valuable accounts. ABM is integrated with marketing automation tools to manage marketing campaigns and create customized content for customers.
- Supporting technologies:
- Testing tools are used to test audience reactions and reactions to marketing campaigns or other content automatically. Testing tools help marketers increase the effectiveness of their marketing activities.
- Analytics the tools provide marketers with insights to evaluate marketing activities and improve their marketing strategy. Information is obtained from leads, digital marketing channels and other marketing platforms. This data is analyzed to find significant patterns and trends.
- Information platforms
- Customer information platform (CDP) systems collect customer data from a variety of resources and create holistic customer profiles and a single customer view of customers for sales and marketing teams. Marketing automation tools work with CDP to create personalized content and informed insights for campaigns.
- Information management platform (DMP) used to manage customer information. DMPs support marketers to form target audiences from a variety of sources by combining customer behavior and interaction.
- Digital asset management:
- Marketing Resource Management (MRM) helps marketers organize and automate marketing tasks and resources. These tools are commonly used in channel, budget, and campaign planning processes.
- Product Information Management (PIM) tools are for managing all product information.
What are the trends in marketing automation?
- Machine learning / artificial intelligence: Companies use machine learning technology to collect and analyze information about their customers. It can help improve more effective marketing campaigns. See more information
- Technologies like RPA which reduce the manual workload of marketing teams
- Automatic testing: Automated testing is becoming more common and is helping to improve marketing performance
- Tools and platforms that provide transparency in data transfer used to comply with increased data protection provisions
What are the challenges of marketing automation?
There are hundreds of marketing software and thousands of marketing automation tools. As a result, it is becoming
- difficult to choose the right Martech stack for your business
- time-consuming staff to get used to different tools
- expensive / slow to integrate different tools and get an overall picture
- marketing automation is expensive due to the subscription fees for numerous tools
Focusing on increased automation and a well-designed Martech stack distracts from marketers ’main point: great content that resonates with their audiences and forces them to act. So wWhile the impact of automation on marketers ’workload can be easily measured, it is difficult to measure the impact on revenue which depends on the message of the company.
What are the differences between marketing and sales automation?
Marketing automation is used to find potential customers and maintain leads (e.g., through webinars, follow-up emails, or announcements). So marketing automation creates a customer base.
Sales automation begins after customers interact with sales staff (e.g., during a presentation). During the interaction, the sales staff confirms that the lead is well suited to the company (i.e., sales-specific leads). After that, sales automation begins to ensure that sales are closed. For example, it helps automate tracking communications.
Therefore, marketing automation is designed for funnel (TOFU) communication. The vending machine is designed for the bottom of the hopper (BOFU).
If you need help finding marketing automation solutions for your business, we can help you get started: