The hiring process for React Native developers involves different parts, each of which requires considerable time and effort. To make the process less stressful, we recommend that you follow these five steps:
- Prepare the technical data.
- Introduce the requirements of the job.
- Create a list of candidates.
- Arrange job interviews.
- Accept the candidates.
In this post, we reveal the first three parts of the hiring process:
- How to create a specification for a React Native project.
- Filling in the job overview.
- How to choose candidates.
By the end of the reading, you’re ready to reach potential candidates. The second part of the article looks at the job interview process and the qualification of candidates.
1. How to create a specification for a React Native project
Finding the best candidate requires good preparation. Your first goal is to outline project requirements. Be as accurate as you can. Detailed documentation draws the attention of professional developers and encourages them to apply.
What is needed to complete the project plans:
- Explain user streams.
- Create graphic layouts.
- Present technical requirements.
Explain user streams
User streams help convey the basic idea of the application. Based on this, the potential developer assesses the scope and identifies the biggest challenges for future work.
Once you have completed this section, you will be assured of explaining your product information to potential contractors. Other than that, you are checking to see if your product application is ready for the market. These questions will help you review your current progress:
- Is the flow of your application simple and easy to use?
- Does your app help users achieve their priorities?
- What are the key features of your application?
- How do you encourage users to buy additional services?
- What benefits do you offer your users?
Writing user streams is an important part of product development. Here is a list of suggested questions to help you improve your user flow overview:
- What types of users (customers, suppliers, supervisors) are presented in my application?
- What abilities does each user category have?
- What information do users request after registration?
- Do I need users to confirm registration via email or text message?
- How could users view another user profile?
- How can users communicate with other users?
- What kind of third-party applications would I like to integrate into my application?
- How do users complete my purchase in my app?
- How do I track information for new and returned users?
- Want to view billing information (invoices, payments)?
- What types of notifications do I want to show users?
Create graphic layouts
Now that you have an end-to-end description of the interfaces, the next translation is to translate them into graphical user interface design.
Benefits of graphical user interface design:
- It helps reflect graphic animations and business logic.
- It can be used to identify challenges and risks.
- It can be used to make a realistic timeline and cost estimate.
Top tools for graphical user interface design:
Usually, mobile applications contain a different number of screens. There can be more than 20 screens or more than 200 screens for small social media app development if we are talking about enterprise class mobile apps.
So depending on your case and commitment, you can choose your way: manage any of the UI design tools, create the screens yourself, or outsource this work to a UI / UX designer.
Present technical requirements
React Native developers create a mobile interface. It is their responsibility to connect it to the back end. To handle this integration, developers must first obtain API documentation. It should include the following elements:
- Resource descriptions.
- Endpoints and methods.
- Ask for samples.
- Examples of answers.
If you are a non-technical expert, you can seek the help of a consultant who specializes in developing the API specification.
There are a few ways to find a suitable consultant:
Consultants usually have one of these tasks:
- Business analysts at a software development office (most agencies produce end-to-end documentation for new projects).
- Software designers with a background in background (can be either background or full stack engineers).
- Technical writers who specialize in background documentation.
Background configurations help your team maintain order and execute a project without unexpected disruptions.
2. Overview of the work
We have reached the center of our path. From now on, every new step is easier to take.
Your current job is to create an overview of the work. Usually, it includes technical requirements as well as preferences for the candidate’s skills.
You can use the following job overview template for React Native developers.
Job requirements model
- Tell us about your company and the core idea of the project.
- Provide a brief summary of user roles.
Main technical requirements:
- Mention the technical stack of the project.
- User interface design settings (graphical rendering, special features).
- Third-party integrations, such as map and geographic location services, postal and SMS integrations, payment gateways.
- Project duration.
- Working (Full-time or part-time).
- Time zone setting.
- Work environment (management system and approaches).
- Budget expectations.
- Development experience.
- Special technical skills.
- Projects on GitHub.
- The portfolio works.
References to materials:
- Overview of user flows.
- Graphical user interface design.
- Background emissions.
Example of an overview of the work
Let’s take more practices into our processes. Currently, many companies are making progress in creating sharing services. Imagine for a second you represented the management of a transportation company.
Our current job is to hire a React Native developer to run the interface for the upcoming mobile service app. The first step is to write a job posting.
Logistics company Rideshare Services Int. wants to expand customer service and hopes to create a multi-tiered mobile app. The app is designed to help drivers earn extra income to minimize their transportation costs.
The application has three categories of administrators: driver, passenger, administrator.
- Drivers report their daily route on a map and set a schedule. Based on this, the mobile app should find a passenger who wants to request a trip at a specified time.
- Passengers can offer an individual price for the desired service. Drivers can take the opportunity if they agree on the proposed costs.
- The administrator user must be able to view general statistics and monitor users.
The mobile interface code must be generated using React Native. The application developer is free to choose for the government service – Redux or Mobx work well.
The specification is complete and can be shared with a valid candidate. The background is built with Node.js (Nest.js). The database is based on Postgresql. Primary Cloud Service: Amazon Web Services.
Settings for user interface design:
The screening plans are already ready with Figma. There are 90 monitors. The requirements for graphic animation are low because the project is in the early MVP stage.
- previous experience with using React-hook forms in a project is much more popular;
- experience working with Swift and Android Studio (to be able to work with native modules on iOS and Android platforms);
- Knowledge of TypeScript must be;
- experience working with the Google Map API;
- experience with Twilio and Stripe is a big advantage.
Location and language:
Our project will initially only be in the UK, so we only need one language there. We hope to expand it in the future with Norwegian and Dutch versions.
We work in the UK time zone, but we are flexible about time settings. We hope there are 3-4 hours of overlap in our time zones, preferably in the mornings.
According to the preliminary assessment, the project will take 3.5 to 4 months to complete. Because the deadline is tight, you have to work full time (40 hours a week).
- We use GitHub in the code store.
- All communication takes place via Slack and Zoom.
- We manage tasks with Jira.
Our budget capacity ranges from $ 30 to $ 35,000 (based on our timeline assumptions).
- Master’s or bachelor’s degree in computer science.
- More than 3 years of experience with React Native, on both iOS and Android devices.
- You have a good understanding of the principles of agility and Scrum.
In addition to the graphical user interface layout and background-based configuration, we are ready to share an overview of users. We will send you the documents after reviewing the application form.
- Send us your resume when you are interested in taking this job. In your answer, describe your skills in relation to the requirements of the project.
- Share links to mobile apps you’ve made in the past and define your team’s role in the project.
We are now ready to publish an overview of the work. You will receive a significant number of answers when you place a job advertisement on these social platforms:
Apart from the above, there are some global social websites that offer job search opportunities to their community. So you can also use their services to hire React Native developers:
Each platform changes your search process. Upwork makes sure you get over 100 suggestions on the first day. We are simulating the hiring process on this platform just to show our expectations.
We published an overview of the same work and requirements as we mentioned in the sample. Now you can check the results of this experiment. The activity was so high that we received over 40 proposals in the first two hours.
3. How candidates are selected
As you can see, you will receive dozens of applications as soon as you publish a detailed overview of your work.
Now you need to select candidates based on the following criteria:
- Did the applicant specify jobs related to your industry?
- Did the applicant describe your skills and experience based on the requirements you mentioned?
- Could the applicant work full time on your project?
- Did the candidate describe his / her role in previous projects?
- Did the applicant provide a link to their profile on GitHub?
- Do they have any recommendations from previous clients or employers?
You can use the applicant screening title. The following model will help you come up with criteria and make the right decision.
Create a list of the first 20 candidates that meet your expectations. Reply to them via email or job search platform appreciating their time and interest. Suggest them to book an appointment with you by sending them a link Calendly or change the booking service you normally use. In addition, distribute the specifications to the candidates so they can prepare for the job interview.
In our next post, we’ll give you more information about the React Native Engineer hiring process. An essential part of it is devoted to questions you could ask your candidate during the job interview.
Thanks for reading and good luck with your preparation!