Hello and welcome to Equity, TechCrunch’s venture capital-focused podcast, where we break down the numbers behind the headlines.
This week, Natasha and Danny, otherwise known as your two favorite new Book influencers (inside a joke, you’ll get it if you listen to the show), hopped on the mics to get everyone through the news, with Grace and Chris background.
Here’s what we got into:
- Wise announced plans to go public via direct listing, making it the largest company to use this route to debut on the London Stock Exchange.
- Andreessen Horowitz embarks on publishing with Future, So Danny and Natasha tormented each other as to why everyone has hot opinions on a blog and what could be in the future for Future.
- Harry Stebbings increased the volume on 20VC with a new fund of $ 140 million. Natasha explained why this is important for emerging fund managers and why it might allay some concerns about the growth potential of micro-funds.
- After leaving our usual conversation about media and business, we turned to the community. Commsor bought Meetsy to create community tools for everyone for an undisclosed price.
- Danny adapted to the leisure market with BookClub, a startup that just raised $ 20 million for reading experiences more engaging with author-led discussions. Then the edtech convo continued with Formative’s $ 70 million fundraising event starting this week.
- Danny had the scoop Gusto’s very first acquisition as well as Clair, a tool that skips direct deposit and go directly to the paycheck.
- To close the tour de table section, we talked about Carbyne simplifies emergencies, and what Natasha backed up was the title of the week: Neo4j Raises Neo $ 325 Million As Charts-Based Data Analytics Take Place in Business.
- Finally, we spoke to HBCUvc’s $ 1 Million Fund to Support Neglected Founders, and accelerate budding investors.
Well, as you can see, it has been a busy week writing and speaking for your humble hosts. We appreciate this opportunity and will be back in your ears on Monday.
PS We can’t wait to see you all on our live show next week. If you haven’t bought free tickets, GET THEM!