If you buy through our links, we may earn money from affiliate partners. Learn more.
- There are many brands of denim out there, and finding the perfect jeans isn’t always easy.
- From looser fits and stretchy jeans to summer whites, we’ve found the best jeans to buy right now.
- Besides the various cuts, discolorations and distress effects, there are other considerations. We set them out below.
Jeans were functional work clothes, rebellious clothing for young people, a symbol of American culture, and remain today the the most popular pants style around the world. While denim has become ubiquitous, jeans still allow wearers to flaunt their individual styles, especially now. There is a seemingly endless amount of cuts and colors, material mixes, discolorations and discolorations, whatever your style or even your mood. Beyond just looks, we’ve included eco-friendly jeans, denim made in North America, and budget choices.
Here is a quick rundown of some denim terms that are worth knowing.
- Raw denim: Denim that has not been washed or aged.
- Sanforized: A process whereby the denim is preshrunk to prevent further shrinkage when you wash your jeans.
- edge: High quality denim woven on smaller shuttle looms which produce tightly woven ends to the fabric (“clean edges”), preventing it from fraying. These “self-edges” are used in the construction of the finished seams of jeans.
- Stacking: The way the excess denim piles up on itself at the ankle.
The best way to take care of your jeans to make them last as long as possible is simple. Wash them inside out in cold water and hang them to dry. That’s it!
A note on fit
The brands in this guide are suitable for men’s sizes, but can be worn by any gender identity. For smaller sizes, please refer to our guide to traditional women’s sizes.