9 Min. Read
Updated – March 30, 2021 – To get a discount when registering for the AZ-140 exam, check exam registration below.
In this article, I will share with you how to prepare and migrate AZ-140: Windows Virtual Desktop Specialty certification test successfully.
Microsoft will continue to develop its learning programs to help you and your career stay engaged in today’s demanding IT environments. New updated role-based certifications help you stay abreast of today’s business requirements. Microsoft Learning is constantly developing its learning program to better provide the skills you need, to prove your expertise to employers and your peers, and to earn recognition – and the opportunities you deserve.
In Windows Virtual Desktop Section in late January 2021, Microsoft announced a new Windows Virtual Desktop certification specialty: Set up and use the Windows virtual desktop in Microsoft Azure.
As I prepare to take this exam myself, I would like to share with you how to prepare for and pass the AZ-140: Windows Virtual Desktop Configuration and Use Microsoft Azure test.
At the time of this writing, this exam is available in March 2021 in beta. Beta exams are not scored immediately because Microsoft collects information about the quality of the questions and the exam. I will update this article as soon as I receive the exam results from Microsoft.
The target audience of the experiment
Candidates for this exam are Microsoft Azure administrators with thematic expertise in designing, delivering, and managing virtual desktop experiences and remote applications for any device in Azure.
Responsibilities for this role include deploying virtual desktop experiences and applications to Azure. Professionals in this role deliver applications to Windows Virtual Desktop and optimize them to run in multi-session virtual environments. To provide these experiences, they work closely with Azure administrators and architects, as well as Microsoft 365 administrators.
Candidates for this exam must have experience with Azure technologies, including virtualization, networking, identity, storage, backups, resilience, and Emergency Recovery. They should understand the technologies of the local virtual desktop infrastructure as they relate to the transition to Windows Virtual Desktop. These professionals use the Azure Portal and Azure Resource Manager templates to perform many tasks. This role can use PowerShell and Azure Command-Line Interface (CLI) for more efficient automation.
Note that you can complete this experiment, you must have Azure management expertise. Check out the AZ-104 exam: Microsoft Certified Azure Administrator Associate Research Guide prepare.
Skills measured on the exam
This test measures your ability to complete the technical topics listed below based on the latest update from Microsoft.
I’ve also included a direct link to the Microsoft documentation so you can read more about each goal.
Design a Windows Virtual Desktop architecture (10-15%)
Design a Windows Virtual Desktop architecture
- Evaluate existing physical and virtual desktop environments
- Evaluate the network capacity and speed requirements of the Windows virtual desktop
- Recommend the operating system for Windows Virtual Desktop
- Design and configure name resolution for Active Directory (AD) and Azure Active Directory Web Services (Azure AD DS)
- Design the architecture of the host pools
- Recommend resource groups, subscriptions, and management groups
- Specify a location for Windows Virtual Desktop metadata
- Calculate and recommend configuration for performance requirements
- Calculate and recommend configuration for Azure Virtual Machine capacity requirements
Design for usernames and profiles
- Select the appropriate Windows Virtual Desktop license template based on your requirements
- Recommend an appropriate storage solution (including Azure NetApp files vs. Azure files)
- Plan to deploy the Windows Virtual Desktop client
- Design user profiles
- Recommend a solution for your network connection
- Design Azure AD Connect user IDs
Deploy Windows Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (25-30%)
Implement and manage a Windows Virtual Desktop network
- Enable Azure virtual network connections
- Manage your Internet connection and local area networks
- Enable and manage network security
- Manage Windows Virtual Desktop session hosts using Azure Bastion
- Monitor network connections and troubleshoot
Implement and manage Windows Virtual Desktop storage
- Specify the storage space for FSLogix components
- Specify storage modes
- Configure the disks
- Create files
Create and configure host repositories and session hosts
- Create a host pool using the Azure portal
- Automate Windows Virtual Desktop host and host pool creation with PowerShell, Command-Line Interface (CLI), and Azure Resource Manager templates
- Create a host pool based on the hosts of a Windows client or Windows Server session
- Configure the host domain settings
- Manages the granting of permissions to session hosts that use a Windows client or Windows Server
- Assign host pools to users
- Use the operating system and application updates on the running Windows Virtual Desktop host
- Use security and compliance settings for session hosts
Create and manage session host images
- Create a golden image
- Edit the session host image
- Install the language packs on Windows Virtual Desktop
- Enable the session host with a custom image
- Plan for image update and management
- Create and use a shared image gallery
- Troubleshoot problems with the Windows Virtual Desktop operating system
Manage access rights and security (10-15%)
- Design and implement Azure roles and role-based access control (RBAC) for Windows Virtual Desktop
- Manage local roles, groups, and permissions on Windows Virtual Desktop session hosts
- Use Azure AD Group Policies and AD Policies to set user restrictions
- Design and implement conditional access policies for connections to Windows Virtual Desktop
- Design and implement multi-factor authentication in Windows Virtual Desktop
- Manage security with Azure Security Center
- Configure Microsoft Defender Antivirus for session hosts
Manage user environments and applications (20-25%)
Implement and manage FSLogix
- Design FSLogix
- Install and configure FSLogix
- Configure profile containers
- Configure the cloud cache
- Move user profiles to an FSLogix file
Configure the user experience settings
- Configure Universal Print
- Configure user settings using Group Policy and Endpoint Manager policies
- Configure persistent and persistent desktop environments
- Configure Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) properties for the host pool
- Specify session timeout properties
- Troubleshoot user profile issues
- Troubleshoot Windows Virtual Desktop clients
Install and configure applications for the session host
- Configure dynamic application distribution with MSIX App Attach
- Implement the application overlay
- Enable the application as a RemoteApp application
- Enable OneDrive for Business and manage a multi-session environment
- Implement and manage Microsoft Teams AV Redirect
- Implement and manage browsers and Internet access for Windows Virtual Desktop sessions
- Create and configure an application group
- Troubleshoot application problems with Windows Virtual Desktop
Monitor and maintain the Windows virtual desktop infrastructure (20-25%)
Plan and implement Business Continuity and Emergency Recovery
- Design and implement a Windows Virtual Desktop Recovery Plan
- Design a backup strategy for Windows Virtual Desktop
- Configure backup and restore for FSLogix user profiles, personal virtual desktop infrastructures (VDI), and golden images
Automate Windows Virtual Desktop management tasks
- Configure automation for Windows Virtual Desktop
- Automate the management of host pools, session hosts, and user sessions with PowerShell and the Azure Command Line Interface (CLI)
- Implement automatic scaling in host pools
Monitor and manage performance and health
- Monitor your Windows virtual desktop with Azure Monitor
- Track your Windows virtual desktop with Azure Advisor
- Customize Azure Monitor workbooks for Windows Virtual Desktop
- Optimize session host capacity and performance
- Manage active sessions and application groups
- Monitor and optimize automatic scaling results
At the time of this writing, Microsoft has not yet released the official learning path for this experiment. However, I gathered all the resources available to help you prepare in advance and complete this exam.
I recommend that you start deploying Windows Virtual Desktop in your company by following the online course and the step-by-step instructions below:
A practical laboratory will bring you Microsoft Cloud Workshop.
In addition, you can study and review the following resources to help you prepare for this exam based on the topics covered in the learning objectives for each area:
- Windows Virtual Desktop – Product vision, latest news and roadmap.
- Security Policies for Windows Virtual Desktop Environments – How to increase the security position of a Windows Virtual Desktop installation.
- Windows Virtual Desktop – Using Windows Virtual Desktop on a scale.
- Windows Virtual Desktop – Simplify image and application management.
- Windows Virtual Desktop – Cost optimization.
- Windows Virtual Desktop – Using GPUs to improve user experience and scalability.
- Windows Virtual Desktop – Switching to Windows Virtual Desktop.
- Windows Virtual Desktop – AZ-140 WVD Study Guide YouTube Playlist by Dean Cefola.
Microsoft Learn – Research resources
In preparation for this exam, I use a new one Microsoft Learn This is a great resource and provides self-paced skills training on delivering remote desktops and applications from Azure with Windows Virtual Desktop. I highly recommend checking the following modules:
During this writing Microsoft launched the AZ-140 trial in beta, if you want to take a beta test and get an 80% discount *, use the code below when asked to pay: AZ140LAHAINA. You must register for the exam by or before April 29, 2021. Seats are offered on a first-come, first-served basis.
When you’re done, click Schedule the exam here and take it online from the comfort of your home / office under the supervision of a supervisor.
If you are going to take this exam … I wish you all the best and good study !!!
Thanks for locking my blog.
If you have any questions or feedback, please leave a comment.